Petroleum Refinery Operator
Responsible for operating petroleum refineries. Maintains safe, reliable, and environmentally sound facility.
- Ensure plant is operating efficiently.
- Analyze specifications and controls.
- Ensure operation of processing units to produce fuel, kerosene, gasoline, and oils.
- Perform distillation, absorption, extraction, adsorption, thermal and catalytic cracking and reforming, polymerization, isomerization, coking, visbreaking, and alkylation.
- Read schedules.
- Analyze oil samples.
- Produce laboratory recommendations.
- Determine quality of product.
- Move knobs, switches, and levers.
- Monitor variables such as temperature, pressure, vacuum, and time.
- Perform automatic regulation.
- Control units by remote control.
- Operate heaters, furnaces, compressors, exchangers, reactors, quenchers, stabilizers, fractionators, rechargers, absorbers, strippers, debutanizers, stills, and towers.
- Regulate pumps and compressors.
- Perform repairs as necessary.
- Check for leaks and faulty valves.
- Patrol units to secure safety.
- Report malfunctioning equipment.
- Lubricate and clean equipment.
- Circulate chemicals in process units.
- Observe automatic warning signals.